Glassfish Admin Console fix after 3.1 upgrade

After upgrading my GlassFish server from 3.0 to 3.1 using its updatetool the admin console was no longer working. When accessing the admin console, I only got an empty page. In the domain server.log file I noticed the following error:

[#|2011-05-07T20:58:45.708+0200|WARNING|glassfish3.1||_ThreadID=102;_ThreadName=Thread-1;|ApplicationDispatcher[] PWC1231: Servlet.service() for servlet FacesServlet threw exception java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException while attempting to process a 'beforeCreate' event for 'event1'.
        at com.sun.jsftemplating.layout.descriptors.LayoutElementBase.dispatchHandlers(
        at com.sun.jsftemplating.layout.descriptors.LayoutElementBase.dispatchHandlers(
        at com.sun.jsftemplating.layout.descriptors.LayoutComponent.beforeCreate(
        at com.sun.jsftemplating.layout.descriptors.LayoutComponent.getChild(

After a little searching I found that this issue was apparently already reported and fixed (GLASSFISH-16087). Unfortunately on my server the problem still existed and the suggested workaround didn’t work for me. Fortunately directly changing the domain’s config/server.xml file directly did work. I shutdown Glassfix and lookup the following entry:

    <property name="restAuthURL" value="http://localhost:${ADMIN_LISTENER_PORT}/management/sessions"/>

as I understood from the reported issue the server was no longer listening to localhost I changed it into (please note I added both the hostname and changed the protocol to https):

    <property name="restAuthURL" value="https://prod.glassfish.mydomain.tld:${ADMIN_LISTENER_PORT}/management/sessions"/>

and after restarting my Glassfish server the admin console worked normally again.